Judge Orders Trump Administration to Fully Fund SNAP by Friday

A federal judge in Rhode Island has ordered the Trump administration to fully restore funding for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) by Friday, rejecting its plan to make only partial payments to millions of low-income Americans who rely on food assistance.

U.S. District Judge Jack McConnell issued the order on Thursday, criticizing the administration for failing to comply with his earlier directive to fund the program in full before the start of November. He noted that the government’s inaction risked worsening food insecurity for more than 42 million Americans who depend on SNAP benefits every month.

“People have gone without for too long,” Judge McConnell said during the hearing, emphasizing that the administration’s delay had already caused unnecessary hardship. He reminded government lawyers that his previous ruling required the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to ensure SNAP benefits continued without interruption — marking the first time in the program’s 60-year history that payments were at risk of halting.

The judge also faulted Trump officials for ignoring known issues in the funding distribution system that could delay SNAP payments for weeks or even months in certain states. He instructed the USDA to use any available contingency funds to ensure all beneficiaries receive their payments promptly.

“It’s likely that SNAP recipients are hungry as we sit here,” McConnell said, underscoring the urgency of his ruling.

Court documents filed earlier this week showed that the administration planned to disburse only 65% of the $9 billion needed to fund November’s benefits. This prompted McConnell to amend his order, giving the USDA just 24 hours to fully comply and release the remaining funds.

“The evidence shows that people will go hungry, food pantries will be overburdened, and needless suffering will occur,” the judge said. “That’s what irreparable harm here means.”

The decision comes as the Trump administration faces increasing legal and political pressure to maintain essential social programs amid ongoing budget disputes. Advocates have warned that any interruption in SNAP benefits could have devastating effects on families, especially as food costs continue to rise across the country.

Politics

Kindiki Says Security Heightened in Mbeere North Before By-Election
Kindiki Says Security Heightened in Mbeere North Before By-Election

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kithure Kindiki announced that security has been strengthened in Mbeere North as preparations continue for Thursday’s by-election.

IEBC Receives First Ballot Papers Ahead of November By-Elections
IEBC Receives First Ballot Papers Ahead of November By-Elections

The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission began its preparations for the November 27 by-elections on Thursday night after receiving the first shipment of ballot papers and statutory forms.

Sakaja Cabinet Shuffle Moves Geoffrey Mosiria, Clemos Gets New Role
Sakaja Cabinet Shuffle Moves Geoffrey Mosiria, Clemos Gets New Role

Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja has reshuffled his county cabinet, moving Geoffrey Mosiria from the environment docket and reassigning other key officials.

Other Stories