
Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez was sentenced to five years in prison for a 2022 shooting incident in California.
Velasquez pleaded no contest to attempted murder, felony assault, and gun charges related to a February 28, 2022, high-speed chase and shooting in Morgan Hill and San Jose. Prosecutors said he pursued a vehicle carrying Harry Goularte, a man accused of molesting Velasquez’s relative, and fired at the car. However, the gunfire struck Goularte’s stepfather instead.
Goularte, who was inside the vehicle with his mother, was not injured. He has denied the molestation allegations, and his case is still pending. The alleged abuse took place at a home daycare run by Goularte’s mother.
Velasquez Taken Into Custody
Velasquez had been out on $1 million bail but was taken into custody after Monday’s sentencing. His attorney, Renee Hessling, said that with credit for time served, he is expected to spend about one more year in state prison.
“Today's results are bittersweet—we had hoped Mr. Velasquez would remain free,” Hessling said. “Cain Velasquez is a good man, a devoted father, and a respected member of the community. What he and his family have endured has been nothing short of a nightmare. He has shown strength, taken responsibility, and been held accountable.”
Velasquez Reflects on His Actions
In a recent podcast interview, Velasquez admitted that he handled the situation poorly.
“The way I handled things was not the right way,” he said. “We cannot take the law into our own hands. I know what I did was dangerous, not just for those involved but for innocent people as well. I understand that, and I’m willing to take responsibility.”
Charges and Legal Outcome
Velasquez had initially pleaded not guilty, and his case was set for trial in September 2024. However, he later agreed to a plea deal in August, which led to the dismissal of premeditated murder charges.
Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen condemned Velasquez’s actions, saying he had taken the law into his own hands and endangered bystanders.
“This defendant decided to become judge, jury, and executioner,” Rosen said. “His actions put innocent people at risk, including children and parents near a school.”
Velasquez’s sentencing marks the end of a legal battle that had drawn public attention, with many supporters calling for leniency due to the circumstances surrounding the case.
Sports

Arsenal’s Gabriel to Miss Rest of Season After Surgery
Arsenal defender Gabriel Magalhães has been ruled out for the rest of the season after suffering a hamstring injury that requires surgery.

UK to Host 2035 Women’s World Cup as Only "Valid" Bid
The United Kingdom is set to host the 2035 Women’s World Cup, marking a historic moment as the only "valid" bid for the tournament.

Messi and Inter Miami Suffer First Loss of Season to LAFC
Inter Miami's Lionel Messi and his teammates faced their first defeat of the season on Wednesday, losing 1-0 to Los Angeles FC (LAFC) in the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions Cup quarter-finals.

Real Madrid Coach Ancelotti Denies Tax Fraud at Madrid Trial
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has denied any intention to commit tax fraud as he appeared in a Madrid court on April 2, 2025.

Haaland to Miss Up to Seven Weeks, Confirms Man City’s Guardiola
Manchester City striker Erling Haaland has been ruled out for up to seven weeks due to injury, manager Pep Guardiola has confirmed.

Ancelotti Believes Mbappe Can Become Real Madrid Legend
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti expressed his belief that French star Kylian Mbappe has the potential to become a club legend, similar to Cristiano Ronaldo.

Eze Shines as Crystal Palace Secures FA Cup Semi-Final Spot
Crystal Palace secured a place in the FA Cup semi-finals, with Eberechi Eze playing a key role in their victory.

Brazil Sack Dorival Junior After Heavy 4-1 Loss to Argentina
Brazil have dismissed head coach Dorival Junior following their humiliating 4-1 defeat to Argentina, a result that widened the gap between the two rivals in South America's World Cup qualifiers.

Guardiola Says Man City Don’t Deserve Club World Cup Bonus
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has said his team does not deserve a share of the £97 million prize money available for winning the expanded FIFA Club World Cup.

FKF Seeks DCI, EACC Help in Patrick Matasi Match-Fixing Probe
The Football Kenya Federation (FKF) has asked the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) and the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) to investigate goalkeeper Patrick Matasi over suspected match-fixing.

Premier League Confirms Two Summer Transfer Windows for 2024
Premier League to Have Two Summer Transfer Windows in 2024 The Premier League has confirmed that it will operate two separate summer transfer windows in 2024 to accommodate clubs participating in the expanded FIFA Club World Cup.

Red Bull Replaces Lawson With Tsunoda in Surprise F1 Driver Swap
Red Bull has confirmed that Yuki Tsunoda will replace Liam Lawson as Max Verstappen’s teammate, just two races into the 2025 Formula 1 season.

LeBron James' Buzzer-Beater Ends Lakers' Losing Streak
LeBron James hit a game-winning buzzer-beater to help the Los Angeles Lakers end their losing streak, securing a dramatic 110-108 victory.

FIFA Club World Cup Winner to Earn Up to $125 Million
The winner of the expanded FIFA Club World Cup in the United States could take home up to $125 million in prize money, FIFA announced on Wednesday.

Argentina Crush Brazil to Celebrate World Cup Qualification
Argentina ended their World Cup qualification campaign in style with a dominant win over Brazil, securing a convincing victory that highlighted their strength.