
Oscar-winning Palestinian director Hamdan Ballal has been released from Israeli custody after being detained following an attack by Jewish settlers in the occupied West Bank. Ballal, who recently won an Academy Award for his documentary No Other Land, said he was beaten outside his home while trying to film the assault.
Attack and Detention
The attack happened on Monday in Susiya, a West Bank village, as residents were breaking their fast during Ramadan. Witnesses say about two dozen settlers, some masked and armed, stormed the area and began throwing stones. Soldiers arrived but allegedly pointed their guns at Palestinians while the settlers continued their attack.
Ballal, along with two other Palestinians, was detained and taken to an Israeli military base. He described his time in custody as harsh, saying he was blindfolded for 24 hours and forced to sleep under a freezing air conditioner.
"I was freezing all night. I couldn't see anything, but I could hear soldiers laughing about me," he told The Associated Press after his release.
His lawyer, Lea Tsemel, said the detainees received minimal medical care for their injuries and were denied legal access for several hours. She also noted that they had been accused of throwing stones at a young settler, a charge they deny.
Family's Fear and Aftermath
Ballal's wife, Lamia, recalled the terrifying moments when her husband was attacked outside their home. Hiding inside with their three children, she heard him scream, "I'm dying!" and call for an ambulance.
"When I looked out the window, I saw three men in uniform beating him with their rifles while another man filmed it," she said.
On Tuesday, evidence of the violence remained. Bloodstains marked the ground outside their home, and the windshield of their car was shattered. Neighbors also pointed to a water tank with a hole they claimed was made by the settlers.
Rising Tensions and No Other Land
Ballal's film No Other Land highlights the struggle of Palestinian communities in Masafer Yatta, where Israeli forces have long threatened to demolish villages. The documentary has received international recognition but has also faced backlash in Israel.
Co-director Basel Adra, a Palestinian activist, said attacks from settlers and Israeli forces have increased since the film’s Oscar win.
"Nobody is stopping this. Soldiers are only helping the attacks," he said.
The war in Gaza has further escalated violence in the West Bank, with growing settler attacks and military crackdowns. Palestinians fear that Israeli forces, which have designated Masafer Yatta as a military training zone, may soon push them out completely.
Entertainment

Glen Powell on Sydney Sweeney, Chemistry, and Romance Rumors
Actor Glen Powell has addressed the speculation surrounding his on-screen chemistry with co-star Sydney Sweeney, revealing how they played into the rumors while promoting their romantic comedy.

Val Kilmer, Star of Top Gun and Batman Forever, Dies at 65
Val Kilmer, the celebrated Hollywood actor known for his roles in Top Gun, Batman Forever, and The Doors, has died at the age of 65.

Forbes Reveals 2025 List of Africa’s Top 22 Richest Billionaires
Forbes recently released its 2025 Billionaires List, naming the wealthiest individuals across Africa, with a total of 22 billionaires.

King Charles Appears in Public After Hospital Stay for Cancer
King Charles III waved and smiled at well-wishers in London on Friday, a day after being hospitalized for side effects from his cancer treatment.

King Charles III Briefly Hospitalized for Treatment Side Effects
King Charles III Hospitalized for Cancer Treatment Side Effects, Resumes Duties King Charles III was briefly hospitalized due to side effects from his ongoing cancer treatment, leading to the postponement of a planned visit to Birmingham.

Selena’s Killer Yolanda Saldívar Eligible for Parole After 30 Years
Yolanda Saldívar, the woman convicted of killing Tejano music star Selena Quintanilla-Pérez, is now eligible for parole, nearly 30 years after the singer’s death.

Beatrice Elachi Mourns Son Elvis Murakana Namenya’s Tragic Death
Dagoretti North MP Beatrice Elachi is grieving the loss of her son, Elvis Murakana Namenya, who passed away on Tuesday, March 25.

Tiger Woods Confirms Romance With Vanessa Trump in Sweet Post
Golf icon Tiger Woods has confirmed his relationship with Vanessa Trump, the ex-wife of Donald Trump Jr., in a heartfelt Instagram post on March 23.

Judge Rules Mariah Carey Did Not Copy Christmas Hit Song
A U.S. federal judge has ruled that Mariah Carey did not steal her holiday classic All I Want for Christmas Is You from other songwriters.

Spotify’s New Playlist Helps Users Discover Local Concerts
Spotify has launched a new personalized playlist called ‘Concerts Near You’ to help users find upcoming concerts in their area based on their music tastes.

Tina Fey Criticizes Wealthy Celebrities for Taking Side Hustles
Tina Fey is not impressed with rich Hollywood stars who take on side hustles just to earn extra money.

Wizkid Praises Super Eagles Ahead of World Cup Qualifier
Nigerian music star Wizkid has expressed his support for the Super Eagles as they prepare for their 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifying match against Rwanda.

Falz Questions Legality of Rivers Governor’s Suspension
Nigerian rapper and lawyer Falz has strongly criticized President Bola Tinubu’s decision to suspend Rivers State Governor Siminalayi Fubara and impose a state of emergency in the region.

Hollywood Director Accused of Defrauding Netflix of $11 Million
Hollywood director Carl Erik Rinsch has been arrested on charges of fraud and money laundering for allegedly misusing $11 million from Netflix.

Paul Okoye Mocks Nollywood Film for Editing Blunder
Nigerian singer Paul Okoye, popularly known as ‘Rudeboy,’ has ridiculed the editing quality of a Nollywood movie after spotting a glaring mistake.